Cinnamon bun breakfast oats by Chef Julia Simon, Nourish.
- 4 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 ½ tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 ¼ cups applesauce
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 ½ cups rice milk
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup pecan pieces, raw
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup raisins
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- Pinch salt
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine oats, cinnamon, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Add melted coconut oil and toss well to coat.
- In a separate bowl, combine apple sauce, vanilla, rice milk and maple syrup and whisk to mix.
- Make a well in the center of the oat mixture and pour in the wet mix. Use a spoon to combine wet and dry.
- Grease a 7 x 11 inch or 9 x 9 inch baking pan and transfer oat mixture to pan.
- Smooth top with a spatula and make 8 indentations with the back of a small measuring cup.
- In another, smaller bowl, combine pecan pieces, coconut sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon, raisins and coconut oil, and toss to mix.
- Par-bake un-topped oats for 10 minutes, then remove from oven. Spoon 1 ½ -2 tablespoons of streusel mixture into the indentations in the oats and press down slightly.
- Bake oats another 15-20 minutes until just beginning to brown around edges and raisins are puffy. Let cool on the counter while you make the frosting.
- Combine shredded coconut, coconut oil, salt, maple syrup, water and lemon juice in a blender and blend until smooth, scraping down sides as needed. Transfer to a squeeze bottle.
- To serve, cut oats into 8 square pieces, centering the streusel pockets.
Squeeze a swirl of coconut frosting on top of each piece. Alternatively, you can spread the frosting on with an offset spatula.