Coffee Rubbed Chicken with Butternut Squash & Orange by Chef Alyssa of Alyssa's Kitchen.
- 1 whole chicken, broken down into pieces
- ½ cup coffee rub (recipe follows)
- 1 orange
- 2-4 Tbsp. cooking oil
- 1 cup chicken stock or both
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 cups medium diced butternut squash
Coffee Rub Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup finely ground coffee, dark roast
- 2 Tbsp. ancho chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. smoked paprika
- 2 Tbsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. garlic Powder
- 1 Tbsp. onion Powder
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
Combine all ingredients and reserve
- Combine the coffee rub with zest of the orange. Rub the chicken generously with coffee spice.
- Refrigerate for as little as 2 and as long as 8 hours to absorb the flavor.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet medium-high for about a minute. Add the cooking oil and when it shimmers and develops some smoke, begin adding the chicken; skin side down, leaving about 30 seconds between each piece, so the temperature of the pan does not drop too low. Move the pieces around as they sear to keep them from sticking. Cook until the skin is golden brown, about 3-4 minutes, then turn and repeat on the other side.
- Remove chicken from the skillet and add the squash. Cook until golden brown. Season with salt and pepper and then add the chicken back into the pan, along with the stock and juice of the orange.
- Transfer to the oven and bake about 45-60 minutes, until the chicken reads 160 degrees with an instant-read thermometer.
- Remove from the oven, add butter to melt into the dish and serve.