Crispy Jerusalem Artichokes with Fennel, Apples and Sausage by Chef Alyssa Gorelick, Alyssa's Kitchen
- 2 Tablespoons ghee (clarified butter) or cooking oil
- 1 cup sliced Jerusalem artichokes
- 1 cup sliced fennel
- 1 pound ground pork or turkey
- ½ teaspoon rubbed sage
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 honey-crisp apple, diced
- 1 cup dandelion greens
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- Melt the ghee in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When it shimmers and begins to sizzle, add the sliced artichokes.
- Allow them to cook, undisturbed, until they become golden brown; then turn and repeat on the other side. Season with salt and remove from the pan.
- Add the sliced fennel to the pan and cook, stirring, until it becomes golden brown around the edges.
- Add the pork with the spices and cook, breaking it up as it browns. Before it is fully cooked, add the apples and cook together.
- Add the chicken stock and butter and allow that to reduce and become creamy.
- Turn off the heat and add the greens; stir to combine and season to taste.
- Toss the artichokes back in and serve.