with Sesame Crust, Butternut squash Rice Cake, Prawn Dashi, Bok Choy and Maitake
4 – 5oz portions of Yellowfin Tuna
4 Butternut Squash Rice Cakes, recipe follows
2 large Maitake Mushrooms, quartered and pan roasted
2 each baby bok choy, blanchd and quartered
2 cups prawn dashi, recipe follows
1 cup black sesame, sechuan peppercorn crust mix
salt / pepper
For the rice cakes:
4 cups cooked and seasoned short grain rice
2 cups diced and cooked butternut squash
1 cup sliced scallions
½ cup pickled ginger, minced
- mix all ingredients, using a large biscuit cutter, shape 1 cup discs, pressing down to make a firm cake, wrap, and refrigerate.
- to cook, dip and coat in corn starch and pan fry on medium heat until goldedn brown, carefully flip and repeat process. drain on paper towel prior to service.
For Prawn Dashi:
4 prawn shells or 2 cup shrimp shells
1 cup mirin
1 cup white soy
1 cup sliced shitake
1 pc ginger
6 cup dashi
1 tsp turmeric
½ tsp Japanese chili powder
½ tsp sambal
- in a medium sized sauce pot on high heat cover the bottom with canola oil, add ginger, shitake and shrimp shells, cook about 4-6 minutes, the shells will turn red.
- add mirin and soy, bring to a simmer, reduce by about 20%
- add dashi, turmeric, sambal and chili powder.
- simmer 20 minutes, turn off, let broth steep for 30 more minutes, strain and set aside
1 cup sesame seeds
½ cup sechuan peppercorns
1 tsp salt
- using a mortar and pestle, crush until it looks evenly crushed
- warm rice cake and vegetables, coat tuna with a little bit of olive oil, season with salt, dip in crust. ensuring all sides are coated.
- in a small saute pan, heat medium high, add 2 tbsp of canola oil, carefully place tuna in pan, let sear on each side for 30 seconds ( for rare), then repeat with the rest of the tuna portions
- as the tuna is searing warm up the strained dashi, taste for flavor, adjust seasoning according to your preferences
- in a large bowl, place 1 rice cake down, followed by 2 pc of maitake, 2 pc of bok choy, slice the tuna on a bias and place on top of rice cake, ladle 4 oz broth in bowl, serve