Chainey Kuykendall, winner of the S&D Culinary Challenge at Johnson & Wales University Charlotte, cooks her winning dish with her mentor, Cody Suddreth, Executive Chef at The King's Kitchen.
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp. coffee grounds
- 1 cup Carolina gold rice
- salt and pepper
- ¼ cup tea extract
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 1 head garlic, roasted until soft
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1-2 sweet potatoes
- 4 tbsp. coffee butter
- 1 red bell pepper, charred, deseeded, and diced
- ½ -¾ cup sharp cheddar
- ½-¾ cup smoked Gouda
- 1 jalapeno, ½ deseeded and finely minced
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 bunch chives, finely chopped
- ½ cup parsley, finely chopped
- ½ cup water
- 1 lb. beef ribs
- ¼ cup coffee extract
- ¾ cup water
- 2 cups Cheerwine
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ lb. ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 3 ribs celery, broken in half
- ½ lb. dried
- ½ loaf sourdough bread
- ½ cup benny seeds, toasted
- 1-2 tsp. coffee grounds
- Season rice with green tea. Set aside and let sit until the next day.
- Prepare beef by searing ribs in a pan until browned on all sides. After all ribs are browned, add in all other ingredients and simmer for two hours, or until tender. Season with salt, pepper, and lemon (optional). For best result, braise the night before and let sit in braising liquid.
- While the beef is cooking, prepare the sweet potatoes by covering them with foil and baking them in a 350 degree oven until tender, about 45 minutes to an hour. Let cool and sieve to get rid of any fibers. Set aside
- Steep coffee grounds in stock for 30 minutes, then strain and set aside.
- Prepare congee by sautéing jalapeno and onion until translucent. Add seasoned rice and sauté another 3-4 minutes, making sure not to get any color on the rice. Add half of prepared stock, stirring to make sure nothing is sticking. Simmer on medium until half the liquid is reduced, then add remaining liquid.
- Add all additional add-ins except for herbs. Mix until everything is incorporated fully; add herbs right before serving.
- Season to taste.
- Garnish with beef, bread crumbs, and sweet potato chips.