Stove fire leaves four displaced in Gastonia

- Firefighters with the Gastonia Fire Department extinguished a one-story house fire around 1 p.m. on Sunday at 1905 Hemlock Ave. in Gastonia.

Officials say heavy smoke and flames engulfed the kitchen and living room that was caused by food left unattended while cooking on a stove. Firefighters were able to control the fire in 15 minutes.

The four members of the home made it out safely. One of the residents tried to recover a personal belonging during the fire. That individual endured lacerations and was transported to Caromont Regional Medical Center with non-life threatening injuries.

The Gaston County Chapter of the Red Cross is currently assisting the displaced residents.

An estimated $35,000 in damages was caused by the fire.

Fire officials recommend the public stay in the kitchen while preparing food to be cooked on a stove and keep any item that can catch on fire, such as oven mitts and towels, away from the stove top.

Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in -- includes Advertiser Stories