CHARLOTTE, NC (FOX 46 WJZY) - Southwest Airlines announced on Wednesday they intend to suspend operations at Charlotte-Douglas International Airport this week ahead of Hurricane Florence.
Officials said they plan to suspend operations in Charlotte around midday Thursday and will cancel all flights in and out of the airport through Friday night due to the impending storm.
Morning, Mike. We intend to suspend operations at CLT as of midday Thursday and have canceled all flights in and out of the airport through Friday night due to Hurricane Florence. -Grayson— Southwest Airlines (@SouthwestAir) September 12, 2018
At midday Wednesday, tracking service FlightAware said more than 400 U.S. flights scheduled for Thursday had been canceled, most of them in the Southeast.
In Wilmington, North Carolina, four-fifths of Thursday's departures have been scrapped. Anywhere from about one-third to more than half of departures have been canceled in Myrtle Beach and Charleston, South Carolina, and Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina.
The numbers are sure to rise as airlines begin cutting flights scheduled for Friday and Saturday. Airlines typically wait until about 24 hours before takeoff before canceling a flight.
Delta Air Lines says it's adding about 1,000 seats on flights to and from the Southeast for people trying to flee the storm.