Carolinas Panthers' head coach Ron Rivera is praising the Charlotte Fire Department after a two alarm fire at his home early Monday morning.
"It's a heck of a thing to watch their teamwork," Rivera said about the fire department during his weekly team news conference Monday afternoon. "You talk about teamwork, leadership, they were tremendous."Around 3:30a, Rivera and his wife awoke to the smell of smoke. He said moments later the room began to fill with smoke."The piercing sound of the alarm really wakes you up," Rivera said. "It gets your adrenaline going."
Before the news conference Monday, Rivera took to Twitter to thank fans for their outpouring of support.
Rivera said the fire was accidental. Investigators believe it started in a fireplace before spreading. It took 56 firefighters an hour to get the fire under control.
Rivera's two brothers and their wives were visiting at the time of the fire. All six people in the home and the family's two dogs were not hurt in the fire. The family's children returned to school in California Sunday.
A family friend will be taking the family in for the night while the Riveras search for a place to live. They hope to live near their Herdon Hall Circle home so they can supervise repairs over the next six to eight months. Rivera said the master bedroom and living room where heavily damaged by the fire. He said there was also smoke and water damage throughout much of the home. The Charlotte Fire Department estimates the fire caused about half a million in damage.
"It's kind of like, 'It's a Wonderful Life,'" he said. "You see things through a different set of eyes now."
Rivera's wife will stay behind to manage repairs while Rivera and the Panthers travel to Seattle this week for Saturday's playoff game against the Seahawks. The game will be seen at 8:15p on FOX46.