CONCORD, NC (WJZY) - UPDATE: (9:50 p.m. 8/4/16) - The Concord Police Department said they have arrested two people and a third person turned himself in, in connection to a string of pellet gun attacks throughout Concord and north Charlotte.
Captain Deckster Barlowe told FOX 46 Charlotte around 7 p.m. Thursday, August 4, they received a call from someone who spotted the suspect vehicle in the Highland Creek neighborhood on the Concord side.
Police said one man was in the car and another man inside the house. One of them reportedly confessed. Police found an airsoft rifle on scene.
Christopher Dudley Mangum II, Jacob Avery Lytton and Matthew Brennan Mallon were charged with five counts of misdemeanor simple assault. The investigation will continue into the Charlotte cases that occurred in Highland Creek and off of I-485.
Mallon answered the door at home Friday afternoon. He told Fox 46 Charlotte's Robin Kanady he has already talked to the police and he didn't want to comment further.
Diane Cato, the mother of a 13-year old who was hit by a pellet, said she was pleased about the arrests. Cato said, "Oh, I’m happy. I’m actually surprised. It was pretty quick, feel a little safer, confident in the police work, and I thank you guys (Fox 46 Charlotte) for coming out and taking this seriously."
Police continue to search for a vehicle connected to a string of pellet gun attacks in the Concord area.
People have been randomly shot with BB guns at five separate locations in the last couple of days. Police officers said they have a suspect vehicle, and are not stopping until they locate it.
"That's really just unfathomable that someone would drive by and shoot someone just because you can...unless you know people's mindset, they're really kind of sick." Patrick Jones, neighbor, said.
Jones lives in the neighborhood where a 13-year-old said she and her friend were shot with BB guns on Wednesday while they were walking home from the pool.
"I think that's very unfortunate that people can't feel safe in their neighborhood," Jones said.
And it wasn't the only attack. A man out for a late-night jog in the area off I-485 said it was the last thing he expected - an SUV driving up then people inside blasting him with pellets, hitting him in the chest and arm.
That was the first attack Tuesday night in north Charlotte. About an hour later, an electrician was shot with pellets in the parking lot of Concord Mills Mall.
Minutes later, police were called across the street to Walmart where two people had been hit with BBs.
Not long after that, a man was hit at Harris Teeter. And Wednesday afternoon, the teenagers in the Highland Creek neighborhood fell victim.
"This could've been any of us."
Concord police told FOX 46 Charlotte they believe the pellet gun shooting are all connected.
"You may not be able to prevent something like this but you can be a good witness after it happens. When something like that happens to look get your wits about you, see what the vehicle looks like, if you can get a tag number, that's extremely important." said Captain Deckster Barlowe.
Police are looking for a gold 1995-2000 Toyota four runner. It may have South Carolina plates. Jones is asking the community to take action by calling police if they have any information on these incidents.
"We have to do our part to be vigilant in our neighborhoods and surroundings so if you do see something that's going on definitely let them know so that they can make our area a heck of a lot safer."
Concord Mills released the following statement:
"Concord Mills management is working closely with the Concord Police Department in the investigation of an incident that took place yesterday. As this is a continuing investigation, we ask that all further inquiries be directed to the Concord Police Department at (704) 920-5000.
Concord Mills is committed to providing a safe, quality shopping environment for our shoppers and our employees."