#BoycottCharlotte emerges after announcement of RNC to the QC

- The hashtag #BoycottCharlotte has emerged after the Republican National Committee selected the Queen City to officially host the 2020 convention on Friday. 

From the streets to Charlotte City Council chambers, everyone seems to have an opinion on whether Charlotte should welcome the RNC and President Trump. 

Just earlier this week, the Charlotte City Council voted 6-5 in favor of welcoming the 2020 Republican Convention. Some members were at odds with each other. 

RELATED: Committee unanimously votes for Charlotte to host 2020 RNC 

"You see, I don't really see him as a Republican. I see him as a human avatar of white supremacy," one member of city council said. 

"I would far prefer to pursue that goal, than resign myself to the idea that those with whom I disagree are inherently evil, and incapable of compromise," another member said. 

Following the news that Charlotte will indeed be the official host, tweets have surfaced using the #BoycottCharlotte. 

The decision to bring the Republican Convention to Charlotte ultimately came down to money. The Democratic Convention in 2012 brought in $163 million to the city's restaurants, hotels and other businesses. The thought is the 2020 convention would be similar. 

The other side of the money is the cost of hosting the event. The city is expected to get a $50 million federal grant for security. The city attorney said other costs would be paid for by the committee and not the taxpayers.

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in -- includes Advertiser Stories