$10k in estimated damages from fire started by stove

- A Gastonia home was heavily damaged from a fire started by food left unattended while cooking on a stove, according to fire officials. 

The fire happened at 2:32 p.m. Tuesday, May 24 at a home located at 519 Glennallen Drive.

Firefighters arrived on the scene and observed a one story manufactured home, with smoke and flames coming from the middle of the structure.

Gastonia firefighters entered the home and encountered heavy fire in the kitchen, which was extinguished in approximately 10 minutes.

The residents of the home were not home at the time of the fire. An estimated $10,000 in damages was caused by the fire.

The Gaston County Chapter of the Red Cross is assisting the displaced residents.

The fire was started by food left unattended while cooking on a stove.

Officials recommend the public follow a few simple guidelines while preparing meals:

  • Always stay in the kitchen while frying, grilling, or broiling food. If you have to leave the kitchen for even a short period of time, turn off the stove.
  • When simmering, baking, roasting, or boiling food, check it regularly, remain in the home while food is cooking, and use a timer to remind you that you are cooking.
  • Keep anything that can catch fire such as oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains away from the stove top.
Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in -- includes Advertiser Stories