Gov. McCrory signs executive order regarding HB2 concerns

- RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) -- North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory says he wants lawmakers to restore the right to sue over discrimination in state court, but he's not challenging a new law on gender-specific bathroom access.

McCrory announced an executive order Tuesday in response to a wide-ranging bill he signed last month affecting the rights of lesbian, gay and transgender people.

His statement said that his order will maintain gender-specific restroom and locker room access in government buildings and schools.

He once again condemned a Charlotte ordinance passed earlier this year that allowed transgender people to use bathrooms corresponding to their gender identity.

The order would expand the state equal employment policy to include sexual orientation and gender.

He also says he will ask lawmakers to file legislation that allows people to sue in state court over discrimination -- which had been wiped out by the law.

Executive Order 93 does the following:

  • Maintains common sense gender-specific restroom and locker room facilities in government buildings and schools
  • Affirms the private sector’s right to establish its own restroom and locker room policies
  • Affirms the private sector and local governments’ right to establish non-discrimination employment policies for its own employees
  • Expands the state’s employment policy for state employees to cover sexual orientation and gender identity
  • Seeks legislation to reinstate the right to sue in state court for discrimination 

“After listening to people’s feedback for the past several weeks on this issue, I have come to the conclusion that there is a great deal of misinformation, misinterpretation, confusion, a lot of passion and frankly, selective outrage and hypocrisy, especially against the great state of North Carolina,” said Governor McCrory. “Based upon this feedback, I am taking action to affirm and improve the state’s commitment to privacy and equality.” 

View the executive order here.

He released the following video below:



Charlotte Chamber President and CEO released a statement Tuesday regarding NC HB2: 

“Today’s action by Governor Pat McCrory sends a positive message to businesses across North Carolina and to our economic development clients throughout the country and world that North Carolina and Charlotte understand the need to attract and retain diverse talent in our workforce.”  

Charlotte Chamber Executive Committee Statement: 

"The Charlotte Chamber supports our well-deserved reputation as a city that promotes and embraces diversity, inclusion and equality. The business community, in particular, understands the need to develop, attract and retain diverse talent. We believe that the growing diversity of our population is in fact a competitive advantage for Charlotte’s economy. The Charlotte Chamber of Commerce opposes discrimination in all forms. 

We applaud the Governor’s actions today which demonstrate that North Carolina is an open and welcoming state.

We support efforts by all leaders at city and state levels to promote North Carolina and Charlotte as places that promote diversity, inclusiveness and equality.

We strongly encourage the leadership and members of the General Assembly to take quick action to the Governor’s call to ensure citizens have the right to pursue claims of discrimination at the state level.

Charlotte remains open for business as a city where everyone is always welcome."

NCDP Chair Patsy Keever Statement: 

“With his actions today, Governor McCrory acknowledged for the first time the full scope and consequences of his discriminatory law. For two weeks, he’s attempted to mislead about the effects of HB2 with long, incorrect memos and Internet videos. But today’s Executive Order does nothing to fix what’s really wrong with his job-killing law: legalized discrimination that will continue to cost the state of North Carolina jobs and respect.” – Patsy Keever, North Carolina Democratic Party Chairwoman

Family Research Council Statement: 

“The Left’s response to Governor McCrory’s executive order shows it has no interest in a ‘live and let live’ policy, and could care less about the commonsense privacy concerns of parents and families throughout North Carolina, even when it comes to the question of letting grown men use women’s bathrooms and locker rooms.

While we don’t think Governor McCrory needed to provide additional clarity, his executive order does not change the law he just signed to prevent local governments from forcing people to violate their beliefs about sexuality and expectations of privacy.

Instead of supporting a common sense approach to bathroom policies, the ACLU and their allies’ objections show they will stop at nothing short of forcing people to accept their radical agenda. All people deserve human dignity and respect, but that doesn’t mean the government should force people to violate their deeply-held views on sexuality or their expectation of privacy in shared restrooms.

We join our allies in North Carolina, and all people of good faith, in calling on Gov. McCrory to continue to defend H.B. 2,” Perkins concluded."

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in -- includes Advertiser Stories