Legal authorities confirm Kerrick trial officially expunged

- Almost nine months after the state officially dismissed the manslaughter charge against Randall Kerrick, the case has now been expunged, according to Kerrick's attorney Mike Greene with a local Charlotte-based law firm.

There will no longer be any record of Kerrick's arrest or the trial itself in the court system.

"He only utilized the rights all similarly situated citizens are afforded," Greene said, referring to the recent decision to expunge the case. 

Kerrick was on trial for the shooting death of Jonathan Ferrell in September 2013. Kerrick shot Ferrell ten times after responding to a burglary call in a Charlotte neighborhood. Later, it was discovered Ferrell had crashed his car and had been looking for help.

On Aug. 21, 2015, the judge declared a mistrial after jurors could not come to a unanimous decision.  In a conversation with the judge, the jury said further deliberations would not change their minds. The jury was split 8-4, favoring acquittal.

Around that same time, the attorney general decided Kerrick would not face a retrial for voluntary manslaughter. Senior Deputy Attorney General Robert Montgomery writes that after speaking to jurors, the AG's office doesn't believe a retrial would get a different result. "While our prosecutors tried to seek a conviction, it appears a majority of the jurors did not believe the criminal conviction was the appropriate verdict," the letter said.




 

 
Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in -- includes Advertiser Stories