CHARLOTTE, NC (FOX 46) - The family of a teenager who died after being infected with a brain-eating amoeba has filed a lawsuit against the U.S. National Whitewater Center.
Lauren Seitz was on a mission trip with the Church of Messiah when the church members decided to visit the Whitewater Center in Charlotte on June 8, 2016. Seitz was thrown overboard while whitewater rafting causing her nose and head to go completely underwater.
Seitz was rushed to the hospital in the coming days after complaining of congestion in her sinus area. She was diagnosed with primary amoebic meningoencephalitis due to an infection caused by Naegleria fowleri.
Seitz died just 11 days after visiting the Whitewater Center.
The wrongful death lawsuit claims the center was negligent for not properly treating their water.
FOX 46 Charlotte coverage: