CHARLOTTE, NC (FOX 46) - The American Red Cross announced on Tuesday their volunteers continue to operate a shelter for residents displaced by a massive apartment fire in east Charlotte earlier this month.
Of the 130 residents displaced by the fire at Woodscape Apartments, 42 people have stayed at the Red Cross shelter.
Red Cross volunteers said some families have found places to rent and have moved into new housing while others are still searching for a new home.
The Red Cross said they're working with these families and others who return during the day to connect them with community partners for a variety of resources, including financial assistance, health consultations, and bus passes.
Jesus Lopez was arrested last week, charged with setting the apartment complex on fire.
Anyone wishing to support the Red Cross Disaster Relief Operations may do so at redcross.org/nc, by calling 800-RED-CROSS or by texting REDCROSS to 90999 to make an immediate $10 donation. To volunteer now and be trained before another disaster impacts our community, visit redcross.org/volunteer to begin the application process.