9 dogs perish in Gastonia kitchen fire

- The Gastonia Fire Department said nine dogs perished in a large kitchen fire Friday evening. 

The fire happened at 6:32 p.m. Friday, April 8 at a home located at 406 N. Morris Street in Gastonia.

Upon arrival, firefighters saw smoke and flames coming from the back of the one-story house.

Crews said they entered the house and encountered heavy fire in the kitchen, which was extinguished in about 10 minutes.

Fire officials said the homeowners were inside the house at the time the fire started, but were able to escape with no injuries. Unfortunately, nine dogs did not make it. 

The fire caused an estimated $30,000 in damages. The Gaston County Chapter of the Red Cross is assisting the displaced residents.

The fire was started by food left unattended while cooking on a stove.

Officials recommend the public follow a few simple guidelines while preparing meals:

  • Always stay in the kitchen while frying, grilling, or broiling food. If you have to leave the kitchen for even a short period of time, turn off the stove.
  • When simmering, baking, roasting, or boiling food, check it regularly, remain in the home while food is cooking, and use a timer to remind you that you are cooking.
  • Keep anything that can catch fire such as oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains away from the stove top.
Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in -- includes Advertiser Stories