CHARLOTTE, NC (WJZY) - A fire ripped through a dozen apartment in Dilworth displacing 15 residents.
The fire occurred in the 2100 block of Kirkwood avenue just before 1:00 a.m. Tuesday, May 10.
The two-alarm blaze spread quickly and when firefighters arrived flames were coming through the roof. It took 50 firefighters to put out the blaze in less than an hour. Three of residents were treated by Medic at the scene for smoke inhalation. 9 of the 12 units were damaged but luckily, no one was severely hurt.
We caught with a few of the victims and they told us that they were being helped by the Red Cross.
Fire officials said the fire started in the attic space above units 7 and 8. Fire investigators were able to locate abnormal electrical activity to the fixed wiring located within the attic space where the fire originated.
Charlotte Fire said the cause of the fire was due to an electrical wiring malfunction. Estimated property damage is $250,000.
As to who is responsible or whose actions which caused the fire, officials said this is a civil matter between the owner/occupants and the involved insurance companies.