STANLY COUNTY, N.C. (FOX 46 CHARLOTTE) - A case of bacterial meningitis has been confirmed at a high school in Stanly. School officials say a student at the high school died, but would not confirm that it was due to meningitis.
South Stanly High School sent a message home to parents Tuesday regarding the case. They say no preventative measures need to be taken, but they are distributing information on the illness.
Parents, this message is to inform you that there has been a confirmed case of bacterial meningitis at South Stanly High School. We have been in touch with our local Health Department who indicated that, at this time, there are no preventative measures the school needs to take. However, as a precaution, we will be sending home information on bacterial meningitis with your student. If you believe your student exhibits any symptoms related to bacterial meningitis, please consult with your health care provider immediately. While we strongly believe this was a single occurrence of the disease, we wanted to ensure all parents were made aware of the situation so they could respond to any health issues in a timely manner. If you have any questions, you may contact our school nurse by calling the school.
Meningitis is the inflammation of the membranes surrounding your brain and spinal cord.
Bacterial meningitis is spread from person to person. Symptoms often include sudden onset of fever, headache, and stiff neck, as well as nausea, vomiting, increased sensitivity to light and confusion, according to the CDC.
South Stanly High School officials do not believe there is an ongoing risk, but encourage parents to be aware of the signs and symptoms.