CHARLOTTE, NC (WJZY) - The Charlotte Fire Department battled two 2nd alarm fires this week, with one firefighter sent to the hospital for heat exhaustion.
The first fire occurred just before 9 a.m. Tuesday, July 5 at an apartment located at 1817 Prospect Drive. Crews arrived on scene in 90 degree heat, to find fire coming from the roof of the apartment building housing six units.
The immense heat of the fire coupled with the 90 degree temperature required the responding fire unit to call for additional resources.
One firefighter was treated on scene and transported to area hospital for heat exhaustion. He was treated and later released. There were no injuries to the occupants of the apartment.
Five adults and three children were displaced by the fire. The Red Cross has provided assistance to the affected families.
The fire remains under investigation by the Charlotte Fire Department Investigation Task force. The estimated property loss caused by the fire is approximately $70,000.
Additionally, just before noon the Charlotte Fire Department also responded to a call from Firebird’s Restaurant located at 3920 Sharon Road.
Fire crews saw heavy smoke billowing from the restaurants ventilation system. The staff was able to evacuate the building without injury. Fire crews attempted to extinguish the fire by gaining access to the kitchen and ventilation by ground ladders.
It took 54 firefighters to bring the incident under control 25 minutes after the initial call. There were no reported injuries.
The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental due to grease build up inside the hood system. The estimated property damages are 20,000.