CHARLOTTE, N.C. (FOX 46 CHARLOTTE) - Crime stats released by the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department Wednesday show homicides are up more than 100 percent from this time last year.
As a whole, violent crime is up almost 20 percent. A deeper look shows -- rapes, robberies and aggravated assaults are all up at least nine percernt, but it's not all trending in the wrong direction.
CMPD believes they may have stopped even more violent crimes from happening by getting more guns off the streets.
Another number they are proud of are officer complaints.
CMPD crime stats through June 30, 2019
- Violent crime up 18.5 percent
- 57 homicides compared to 26, increase of 119.2 percent
- 912 robberies, increase of 9.4 percent
- 149 rapes, increase of 13.7 percent
- 2,331 aggravated assaults, increase of 21.4 percent
- Burglary overall down 1.6 percent
- Other stats
- Approximately 8,300 arrests, increase of four percent
- Officers encounted approximately 5,100 armed people and successfully de-escalated every encounter but two
- Officers took nearly 1,000 illegal guns off the streets, increase of 10 percent
- Complaints in 2019 against officers down almost 20 percent
- Out of 54 complaints, 37 of them were made internally by other officcers.