CHARLOTTE, NC (FOX 46 WJZY) - The Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department has provided a list of ways to make sure that you don't get scammed after FOX 46 reported on Ronald Eason, a Purple Heart veteran that was taken for thousands of dollars by a contractor.
CMPD offered several tips to keep yourself from becoming a victim:
- Be suspicious of anyone going door to door to solicit work
- Do not pay for work up front (GS 14-104)
- Do not allow yourself to be told that repairs are necessary immediately
- Do not rely on the word of some one you do not know
- Never allow someone you do not know to enter in your home
- Ask for references
- Ask to see contractor's insurance information. Contractors should carry workers' compensation, property damage and personal liability insurance. Also check expiration dates to insure coverage does not expire prior to the project completion date.
- Get a written contract. Be sure to read it before signing it.
- A full description of work to be performed
- Total Cost of the job
- A firm completion date
- The contractor's license number
- All warranty information
- Address and phone number of the contractor
- Beware of anyone that tells you the deal is a secret and that you must not tell anyone
- Do not allow your decision to be influenced by greed
- If something sounds to good to be true, it probably isn't true