CHARLOTTE, NC (FOX 46 WJZY) - Local law enforcement officials say they have a comprehensive plan to keep people safe at Charlotte Motor Speedway following a mass shooting in Las Vegas that killed at least 59 people and injured more than 500 others.
Charlotte Motor Speedway is hosting three large events this weekend:
- The Bojangles' Pole night on Friday
- The Drive for the Cure 300 on Saturday
- And Bank of America 500 on Sunday
There will be more than 300 federal, state, and local law enforcement officers at the speedway.
"We have a joint operations command center where we have the decision makers of all of these organizations together so that at a moment's notice, when something takes place, we can immediately begin the process in mitigating the events as they're unfolding," said Major Jimmy Hughes with the Concord Police Department..
Hughes says in past years communication between all agencies was a struggle, but since then they've improved their strategies by implementing communication between everyone.
A gunman perched on the 32nd floor of a Las Vegas hotel-casino unleashed a hail of bullets on an outdoor country music festival below, killing at least 59 people as tens of thousands of concertgoers screamed and ran for their lives, officials said Monday. It was the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history.
Beyond the events, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department provides free active shooter training for businesses, schools, and places of worship. It's based on the ABC’s - avoid, barricade, and counter.
"If you can run and get away, time and distance are your best friends. If you can't, then you would want to barricade. Get behind cover, get into a room and put furniture in front of that door to keep the active shooter out. If you can't, and there's an active shooter a few feet away, sometimes you have to fight that person and even get the gun from that person. By playing dead, that's going to get people killed," said Officer John Frisk with CMPD.