Cooper: 1 Irma-related death reported in NC

- Hurricane Irma and its aftermath have resulted in one North Carolina death.

A medical examiner in Henderson County medical examiner has determined that a man died from carbon monoxide poisoning on Tuesday.  

He had been using a generator to power his home after the storm knocked out electricity in the area.  The victim's name has not  been released yet.

This is the first death in North Carolina related to Hurricane Irma.

“Kristin and I are saddened by this news and send our deepest sympathies to the victim’s family and friends,” Governor Cooper said.

Cooper urged any NC resident using generators to be sure to follow all safety guidelines.

“When the power goes out generators can be a lifesaver, but used without good ventilation generators can be deadly,” Gov. Cooper said.  “If you have a generator, please make sure you operate it safely.”

Generators, gas and charcoal grills and propane stoves should always be used outdoors and away from windows, doors and vents to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning. More tips are available from the NC Department of Health and Human Services.

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in -- includes Advertiser Stories