Elderly, disabled man dead after accidentally setting himself on fire

- An elderly, disabled man died Sunday morning after deputies said he accidentally set himself on fire at his home in Monroe. 

The incident happened around 9:30 a.m. Sunday, October 1 in the 6000 block of Wolf Pond Road. 

According to the Union County Sheriff's office, Chester Lynn Eubanks, 75, accidentally set himself on fire inside his workshop/shed behind his house. 

They said Eubanks was on a motorized scooter and it's believed that he spilled lighter fluid on himself while trying to light a wood stove. His wife found him. The sheriff's office said Eubanks' wife sustained minor burns to her hands after she tried to extinguish the fire to save him. 

Deputies said minimal damage was done to the shed. The majority of the fire engulfed Eubanks and his scooter. 

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in -- includes Advertiser Stories