GASTONIA, NC (FOX 46 WJZY) - A Gastonia Firefighter was taken to the hospital after being injured while fighting a fire late Saturday evening.
Gastonia Fire Marshal, Chris Stowe, says Engineer Loren Ward was transported to Caromont Regional Medical Center after collapsing while fighting the fire that started due to food being left unattended on a stove. He suffered an aneurysm and is undergoing surgery Sunday afternoon.
Fire crews were dispatched to the Pineview Lane Apartments around 11:23 pm for reports of an apartment fire. When crews arrived, smoke and flames were visible. The fire was extinguished in about 15 minutes.
One apartment tenant was home at the time of the fire and was able to safely escape thanks to a working smoke detector.