CHARLOTTE, NC (FOX 46 WJZY) - For more than a year FOX 46 has been working to get results for an army veteran in need of a new kidney.
Tuesday night, Edmund called the FOX 46 newsroom with an exciting development— he finally received the call he’s been waiting for.
Edmund hopped in the car and headed straight to Wake Forest Hospital where he will undergo surgery at 9:00 a.m. on Wednesday after doctors told him that an organ donor who recently passed away is a perfect match for him.
He sent us a photo of him in the hospital waiting room Tuesday evening. We are wishing Edmund a smooth surgery and a quick recovery!
Click through the links below to learn more about Edmund Baines:
- Army vet keeping bags packed as new kidney is in sight
- One year later, Army veteran in need of kidney isn't giving up hope
- New potential kidney donors contact NC Army veteran in need
- NC Army veteran in need of kidney transplant
- "I know it's from up above": Kidney donor explains what it means to be perfect match for Army vet
- American Airlines gifts free flight for Army vet's kidney donor
- Social media helps Army veteran find perfect kidney match
- Veteran in search of kidney donor says, "I'm not giving up, I never will'
- Army vet in need of kidney transplant gets slew of calls
- Army veteran hopes signs will help him find kidney donor