Family of woman hit by construction vehicle on I-77 speaks out

- The family of a woman injured when a construction vehicle collided with her car on Interstate 77 is speaking out publicly for the first time.

That woman is still in the hospital three weeks after the crash.

Many of us have been wondering how she's doing. Troopers didn't have an update, so we reached out to her family only to learn that the accident was in fact as bad as we had feared.

RELATED: Woman hospitalized after being swiped by vehicle coming out of I-77 construction zone

"When I got there, I looked at her and the first words out of my mouth were, 'she's dead'," said Michelle Reinhardt.

It was her baby girl behind the wheel. A construction vehicle had pulled out in front of Nastasha Reinhardt. The impact launched the 27-year-old's car into the guardrail.

"She had bones sticking out of her body from everywhere," her mother said. It's something no mother should have to see.

"But I heard her say, 'where's my momma.' Ever since she said those words out loud and I was able to hear them, I've been at peace, at peace with God that he had her," said Michelle.

Her mother describes the moment on Facebook: 

Michelle was grateful: Grateful to be at her daughter's side, and grateful her son had been on the phone with Nastasha just moments before the accident.

"I started calling her name and calling hello, but I couldn't hear anything. Then I heard some faint little moans like she was trying to scream but couldn't," said Parish Reinhardt, Nastasha’s older brother.

Nastasha has been in the hospital ever since the accident. She didn't want us to see her that way. She's gone through surgeries and strokes. Her right side is now paralyzed.

"I'm still angry that my sister will have to deal with this for the rest of her life. Most of her body is metal now. She has metal rods everywhere. Screws. You name it. Plates. She's going to be hurting for the rest of her life."

The accident happened in the blink of an eye, just before Brawley School Rd., Exit 35. Highway Patrol said Reinhardt was going the posted speed limit, 65 miles per hour, when the construction vehicle pulled out in front of her at 25 miles per hour.

The construction worker was hit with a citation for 187 dollars. Nastasha landed in a hospital bed.

We asked, "how has the construction company been with you all so far?"

Michelle replied, "no response. Only one letter I received and it was from an independent investigator who is investigating what took place. They haven't so much as sent a flower."

We reached out to the construction company and asked what kind of compensation they're giving Nastasha, if the worker who hit her is still employed, and what changes they've made for construction vehicles entering the highway. We only received one line, which says "we are unable to comment on specifics related to the accident.

If you would like to help this family they've created a GoFundMe account for Nastasha Reinhardt's treatment. 

Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in -- includes Advertiser Stories