Park goers scared, nervous after Carowinds ride catches fire

- Flames took over a bumper car at Carowinds Monday.

Luckily, the person on the ride had already exited the car when the blaze broke out and there were no injuries.

Tuesday, FOX 46 spoke to park goers who were shocked by the incident. 

"It's scary," said Cortney Cordell, who has two kids.

"The very first thing I thought was hopefully no one was hurt," said Cecilia Dennis, who frequents the park. "Secondly, I probably will never ride the bumper cars."

RELATED: Bumper car catches fire at Carowinds

While the ride is located on the South Carolina side of the park, the North Carolina Department of Labor tells FOX 46 that Carowinds is inspected every year before it opens.

"Our inspections-- you have to meet 100 percent of the manufacturers requirements of that specific ride," said Mary Katherine Revels with the NC Department of Labor.  "And when we do those inspections, we request maintenance records for that ride."

Parents leaving Carowinds Tuesday found the incident extremely worrisome.

"That's so scary," said Cordell.  "I have two kids myself so I rely on the rides to be safe and it makes me question the safety of the rides there."

"In all my 30 years, having been born and raised here and having gone to Carowinds since I can't even remember, I've never once seen anything go wrong here at Carowinds," said Dennis.

"Our inspectors are out there working diligently to make sure those rides are up to those 100 percent manufacturers specifications in order to open that ride to the public," added Revels.

Carowinds denied to comment on the incident.

FOX 46 has made calls to the South Carolina Department of Labor, and we are waiting to hear back from them.

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in -- includes Advertiser Stories