Police identify man accused of wielding knife on Bruns Academy campus

- Bruns Academy was briefly on lockdown Wednesday morning after police say a suspicious person with a knife was on school grounds.

A man armed with a knife slashed the tires of a grandparent parked near the school, and then the man ran towards the door of the school, but he never got in, according to CMS Police. 

The suspect, identified as Pascal Moore, 31, fled before officers arrived, however after a brief search, CMS police say he surrendered near the school.

"I'm thinking I’m about to kill this sucker. I got my granddaughters and he's coming from the back of the woods, I just dropped off one of my grandbabies. I don't know what he is thinking. Only thing I seen is that big knife on his hand and I know what I was getting ready to do," St. Clair Staley said. 

Staley saw as Moore walked towards the door at Bruns Academy carrying what CMS Police called a butcher knife.

"The blade on it was about this long," Staley explained. 

According to CMS police, Moore came out of the wooded behind the school and attacked Staley's car, slashing one of his tires. The suspect then went towards the main door, but thanks to the security in place, CMS Police say he wasn't able to get inside the school building.

Staley tells FOX 46 Charlotte he was ready to fight back but didn't have the chance.

According to CMS Police, Moore ran off behind the school, hid the knife by a walkway near the mobile classrooms at Bruns Academy, and that's when CMPD arrived and arrested Moore.

"They caught him, they caught him! I thank God for that but he just looked like he was out of it. He was on something but I'm just glad I was able to identify him," Staley said. 

CMS police tell FOX 46 Charlotte there is no connection between Moore and Bruns Academy, and no one has ever seen him at the school before.

The investigation is ongoing.

Bruns Academy issued the following statement to parents:

Good morning Bruns Believers,

We would like to inform you that this morning we were in a lockdown for approximately 90 minutes due to activities happening in the community.  There was a person who attempted to gain access to the school; however, was apprehended.  All scholars and staff are safe.  We have resumed our normal schedule for the remainder of the day.  

Thank you.

Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in -- includes Advertiser Stories