Samsung reimburses family of girl whose cell phone exploded, says phone did not malfunction

- We have an update to a story we first told you about last November.
 
Last November, a charlotte teen showed us her Samsung Galaxy J-7 Prime cell phone which she said caught fire in the middle of the night.

The family said the phone was hooked up to a Samsung charger at the time and was only a few months old. Samsung reimbursed the family and took the phone to see what went wrong.

RELATED: Samsung analyzing Charlotte teen's phone after it burned, melted

On Thursday a spokesperson for Samsung issued a statement to FOX 46 saying, in part:
 
"We stand behind the quality and safety of our products....Based on our investigation, including testing of the device, we have concluded that the device did not malfunction. Our analysis shows that an excessive external force caused damage to the device."
 
Samsung would not elaborate on what that means.

We reached out to the family. They say they didn't do anything to the phone and disagree with the company's findings.

RELATED: Parent furious after teen's Samsung phone caught fire while she was sleeping

You can view the full statement from Samsung below: 

We stand behind the quality and safety of our products. We have reached out to the Shirley family and resolved the matter to their satisfaction. Based on our investigation, including testing of the device, we have concluded that the device did not malfunction. Our analysis shows that an excessive external force caused damage to the device.
 

Any customers with questions about Samsung products should contact us directly at 1-800-SAMSUNG.

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in -- includes Advertiser Stories