MECKLENBURG COUNTY, NC (FOX 46 WJZY) - A number of services have been affected in our area after hackers were able to freeze Mecklenburg County servers. The hackers told officials to pay with the online currency BitCoin, in the amount of $23,000, to get access back to their servers.
The deadline was 1:00 p.m. Wednesday. So far, no decision has been made whether or not to pay the ransom for Mecklenburg County to gain back their server files.
The ransomware attack is behind the shutdown of many County IT systems, departments implemented paper processes, and other solutions to continue serving customers.
Officials said there is no evidence at this time that personal, customer or employee information or data has been compromised.
The County said they're considering all options to fix the solution, including possibly paying the cyber criminals to unfreeze the system. The County is consulting with Federal, state, and private stakeholders, including the FBI and Secret Service, while the County works to restore services.
Below are systems currently not available:
- Applicants cannot apply for vacant positions
- Property tax payments cannot be made at the Wilkinson Blvd. location
- Tax records and payment information cannot be accessed online or by telephone
- All online services, including online payment options, are not available
- Once tax systems are available, payments received by mail and in person will be posted in the order received resulting in a delay in checks being cashed
- Real estate and personal property tax payments can be made in person at Walton Plaza if the taxpayer presents the bill(s) with payment.
- Gross recept tax payments can be made in person at the Hal Marshall Center if the taxpayer presents the complete tax return(s) with payment.
- Payments must be made with a check, money order, or cash. Credit and debit card payments cannot be accepted.
Register of Deeds
- All computers used to complete marriage applications, assumed business names research and filing, and record research are not operational
- Many professionals that frequent the ROD for research have prepaid for copies, they will be unable to access those funds for those services as well
- Code and Storm Water Services cannot review plans or issue new permits
- GIS cannot provide addressing and other services
- Air Quality services for asbestos reviews, etc. cannot be performed until the system is up
- Code enforcement inspection process will be slowed due to paper process
- County Assessor's Office reports AssessPro (The Real Property appraisal system), NCPTS (the personal property appraisal system and the billing and collection system) are down
- Polaris and Tax Bill look up county web links are down
Park and Recreation:
- Online reservations are down
Department of Social Services
"If you've made a transportation reservation through DSS/MTS scheduling, please call Customer Connection at (704) 336-4547 to confirm your transportation. This includes reservations made for bus passes and vendor transportation for trips scheduled through Dec. 11, 2017.
Child Support Enforcement
- Please call your agent to see if services are available
- Automated payments, invoicing, procurements, etc. This means no Electronic funds transfers processing of procurement requests in the system, or other similar transactions at this time