UPDATE: Funeral arrangements made for fallen Pineville firefighter

A news conference was held Monday on the Pineville firefighter who died after responding to a fire at Edwin Watts golf store. 

Richard Sheltra, 20, died at the hospital from "inhalation products as result of combustion," which loosely means smoke inhalation, according to Assistant Fire Marshal Mike Petleski. 

Fire officials said Saturday's fire in the Countryside Shopping Center started from a lightning strike. There was no 911 call made. Crews responded to an alarm that went off at the store. 

Sheltra had been inside the golf store trying to beat back the blaze when fellow firefighters pulled him out of the burning building.

The three-year veteran was transported to the hospital where he was pronounced dead. 

Two other firefighters were injured while battling the flames. An outpouring of support has come from hundreds of others, who stopped by the Pineville Firehouse well into Sunday evening. 

Sheltra was named Rookie of the Year and had the most training hours logged in the Pineville Fire Department. 

The Memorial Service will take place on Saturday, May 7, at noon at Forest Hill Church's South Park campus. 

Want to help the Sheltra family? CLICK HERE to visit their GoFundMe page. 

Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in -- includes Advertiser Stories