WARNING: Do not plug space heaters into power strips, fire officials say

- The cold weather is here in the Carolinas and so is the need to stay warm and toasty, but if you use a space heater, fire officials are warning you to not plug it into an extension cord or a power strip. 

Doing so is a major fire hazard, according to fire authorities. 

According to fire officials, these devices are not designed to handle the energy load of a space heater and can overheat, and even catch fire. 

Heating elements inside a space heater can reportedly get up to more than 500°F to 600°F. Residents should plug their space heaters directly into the wall, and always keep an eye on it when it's in use. 

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in -- includes Advertiser Stories