CHARLOTTE, N.C. (FOX 46 CHARLOTTE) - Monday is International #EarthDay and there are plenty of ways for you to celebrate and contribute to a healthier world to live in. Challenges have ben faced just in the last few months alone with hurricanes on the east coast, wildfires on the west coast, and flooding in the midwest, none of which helped for a clean environment.
As more and more companies like Volvo, Patagonia, and large scale food and beverage companies turn to environmentally concsious products, there are plenty of things the consumer can do too. Here are a few.
- Buy a re-usable coffee mug. Plastics are contaminating the oceans. By the year 2050 there might be more pieces of plastic in the ocean than there are fish according to the MacArthur Foundation, in partnership with the World Economic Forum.
- Go for a walk or bike ride on one of the Queen City greenways and pick up a piece of plastic or styrofoam. With summer approaching and with plenty of reason to be outside, you might just stroll by someone else's fast food plastic cup. Pick it up and toss it out.
- Buy local. Farm to table has become a popular trend among restaurants and while it may cost you a few extra bucks to get your produce from the farmers market, it makes for a more sustainable economy and helps the local farming community.
- Plant some trees. Trees improve air quality by removing small pollutants and reducing greenhouse emnissions by taking up carbon dioxide.
— NOAA Research (@NOAAResearch) April 19, 2019
- Unplug. The more energy we consume the more the enviornment is polluted.
- Tell your office manager that your office needs more recycling bins that are visible and convenient to everyone!
- Earth-friendly cleaning products. There are a number of products on the market that work just as good as the ones that are bad for the environment. Support local businesses such as Haberdish in NoDa, and many other bars and restaurants in the city that use paper versus plastic.