CMPD says four students at Whitewater Middle School taken to the hospital Tuesday had no reason to go. Their story about taking prescription medication that wasn't theirs was a false alarm.
ER determined the students had not overdosed because they didn't ingest anything.
Principal Beth Thompson sent out an initial statement saying the students ingested a medication that was not prescribed.
"The number one place that they obtain medicine that they abuse is the medicine cabinet of their own family or the medicine cabinet of their friends," drug counselor Robert E. Martin said.
Martin, a board member for Prevention Services, said the percentage of adolescents taking prescription medications that are not prescribed to them is on the rise.
"We're seeing that prescription drugs are coming ahead of marijuana and other drugs as a drug of abuse," Martin added.