CHARLOTTE, NC (FOX 46 WJZY) - Police are investigating after a woman says she was raped near a nightclub in uptown Charlotte Friday morning.
The incident happened about 5:40 a.m. on the 200 block of N. Caldwell Street. The 31-year-old victim told officers she walking home from working a graveyard shift when she was "moved against her will and sexually assaulted," according to the police report. CMPD says the suspect was armed.
The victim was hospitalized after the assault.
The suspect is described as a black male in mid-30’s, 5’6”, muscular, wearing thick framed glasses. The suspect also has a distinctive tattoo on his forearm.The victim and the suspect did not know one another.
As a result of recent sexual assaults reported in the city, CMPD has done the following:
- The CMPD has shifted staffing from both patrol and specialized units
- The Central Division has committed a larger presence in the area that involves officers on foot, bicycles, cars, both plain clothes and uniform.
- All staff has been briefed at roll-calls to actively be on the lookout for this suspect while on their respective assignments.
- Information concerning this incident and suspect is being communicated with all divisions city-wide.
- Sexual Assault detectives are reviewing evidence, conducting interviews and actively working tirelessly to identify and apprehend the suspect.
Anyone with information about the incident should call Crime Stoppers at 704-334-1600.