(FOX 46 WJZY) - To red heads everywhere, today is your day! It’s National Love Your Red Hair Day.
The November holiday began by two redheaded sisters who said they wanted to help other gingers embrace and love their fiery locks.
To help celebrate, here are some fun facts about redheads:
- People with red hair are likely more sensitive to pain. This is due to the gene mutation (MC1R) that causes red hair to be on the same gene linked to pain receptors. It also means redheads usually need more anesthesia for dental and medical procedures.
- Redheads probably won’t go grey. That’s because the pigment just fades over time. So they will probably go blonde and even white, but never grey.
- The highest concentration of redheads is in Scotland (13 percent) followed by Ireland (10 percent). Worldwide, only 2 percent of people have red hair.
- Having red hair isn’t the only thing that makes some redheads unique. They are also more likely to be left handed. Both characteristics come from recessive genes, which like to come in pairs.
- Redheads most commonly have brown eyes. The least common eye color: blue.
- Redheads actually have less hair than most other people. On average they only have 90,000 strands of hair while blonds, for example, have 140,000. However, red hair is typically thicker so it still looks just as full!
- Rumor says Hitler banned marriage between redheads. Apparently he thought it would lead to “deviant offspring.”