Several displaced after apartment fire in Newton

- Flames ripped through a Newton apartment complex Saturday night.

"Surreal, that's the only way you can describe it," said Steven Foster. "There were two explosions that happened that caused all the tenants from down the hill to come on up here."

"It's horrible," said William Saunders.

Roommates Steven and William, just a unit down from where the fire broke out, say the blaze began after a man left a pot cooking on the stove.

"To look at the damage and see the big gapping hole that's inside the roof it's unreal, man. It was all because of a stupid mistake," said Foster.

The two say a total of ten people are now displaced from the complex and Red Cross gave out food and shelter vouchers for short term comfort, but their long term future is still to be determined.

"Things can be replaced but people can't. That is one thing to be thankful about especially on a Sunday," said Foster.

According to the tenants, no one was injured in the fire.

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in -- includes Advertiser Stories