Asian Mahogany Chicken by Personal Chef Jennifer Brule
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 2 & 1/2 pounds chicken thighs cut into 2" chunks
- 2 tsp kosher or sea salt
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2" piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes or 1-2 birds eye chili peppers, chopped
- Handful of chopped cilantro
- handful of salted peanuts, chopped
- Place sugar in the bottom of a heavy pot and set over medium low heat (do not add oil of any kind-- just the sugar). The sugar will slowly melt, then turn the color of caramel. Watch closely.
- Once the sugar is caramel colored, add in the fish sauce and water -- be careful, as it may bubble up.
- Stir constantly for 30 seconds, then add in chicken and salt, stir, cover and allow to cook over medium-low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- During the last 10 minutes, add in the garlic, shallot, ginger and chili pepper, stir, cover and continue cooking.
- Serve over rice with cilantro and chopped peanuts on top.