Hailing from the Middle East, babaganoush is a vegetarian dip from roasted eggplants garlic and tahini with twists of lemon and a taste of smoked salt. Here is Chef Julia Simon and Nourish's recipe.
- 2 large eggplants
- 6 cloves garlic, roasted
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked salt
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup tahini, stirred
- Roast eggplants over a gas burner, turning often, until skin is totally blackened and eggplants have deflated.
- Transfer to a steel bowl, cover, and let rest 20 minutes. Peel eggplants and discard charred skin and stem.
- Fit a bowl of a food processor with an s-blade, then add eggplant, garlic, lemon, salt and EVOO, and process 2-3 minutes until smooth and glossy. Add tahini and process again until tahini is well incorporated. Serve chilled or at room temperature, drizzled with more olive oil.
- If you don't have a gas stove, you can broil the eggplants 3-4 minutes per side to char them.