Butternut Risotto with Quinoa and Sage by Chef Julia Simon, Nourish.
- 8 cups vegetable stock, preferably homemade
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 2 1/2 cups butternut squash, parbaked, diced to 1/2 inch pieces (about one medium squash)
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 1 1/3 cups white quinoa
- 1/4 cup white wine or sake
- 2 tbsp ginger puree
- 3 leaves sage, minced
- 1/4 cup parsley, minced
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 1/4 cups scallion, minced
- Bring vegetable stock to a simmer in a small saucepan.
- In a heavy-bottomed pot or medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and squash; saute 5-7 minutes, turning often, until squash softens and onion is fragrant.
- Add rice and quinoa, and toss to coat grains with oil. Toast 3 minutes, then deglaze with wine.
- Lower heat to a simmer. Add ginger and sage, stir, then ladle in stock, 1 cup at a time, stirring until it is absorbed.
- Continue adding broth in 1 cup batches, until your broth is gone and grains and tender, but not too loose. Taste for salt and adjust.
- Add frozen peas, parsley and scallion, stir again, and serve, topped with additional minced scallions or cashew parmesan.