Madelines with Brown Butter Icing by Chef Christine Guerriero of Sweet Lorraine's Bakery.
Ingredients for Madelines:
- 125 grams granulated sugar
- 110 grams AP Flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Zest of 1 orange
- Pinch of salt
- 2 whole eggs
- 110 grams butter, melted
Ingredients for Brown Butter Icing:
- 4 tablespoons butter (melted and browned)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons heavy cream
Directions for Madelines:
- Butter and flour madeline molds
- Mix all dry ingredients together
- Stir in eggs. Don’t overwork mixture or excessive air will be incorporated into batter
- Stir in melted butter
- Chill batter until firm
- Pipe madlines into prepared molds
- Chill again for 20 minutes
- Bake madelines at 400 degrees for 5-7 minutes or until they spring back to the touch
- Unmold madlines immediately upon removing from oven
Directions for Brown Butter Icing:
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat until nut-brown in color, about 10 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat, and pour butter into a bowl, leaving any burned sediment behind.
- Add sugar, vanilla and 1 tablespoon of heavy cream; stir until smooth. If the icing is too rich, add the remaining tablespoon of heavy cream, a little at a time, until consistency is spreadable. Let cool 5 minutes. Use immediately.