Slow Roasted Pork Shoulder, Ashe County Cheddar Cheese Sauce with Orecchiette Pasta, & Citrus Gremolata by Chef Tim Wedell, The Westin Charlotte
Slow Roasted Pork Shoulder
- Rub 4 lb. pork shoulder in hickory rub and rest overnight.
- Place in a rondeau and sear well. Scrape the fond off of the pan and add 2 cups Mirepoix.
- Sautee for a few minutes until fond has come loose.
- Add 5 cloves of garlic, fresh rosemary and thyme.
- Sauté. Add 1 gallon of chicken stock and 1 cup of BBQ sauce.
- Cover in aluminum foil and roast in oven for 4-5 hours until pork is soft and can be pulled. Reserve braising liquid
- Pull and reserve
Ashe County Cheddar Cheese Sauce
- Melt 1 lb of butter in a saucepan. Add 2 cups of flour to create a roux.
- Add 1 gallon of milk and slowly stir until it begins to thicken.
- Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Add 1.5 lbs of Ashe County Cheddar Cheese and stir in until smooth.
- Add 2 lb orecchiette pasta to heavily salted boiling water.
- Cook until almost al dente
- Remove and strain. Do not rinse in cold water. Save pasta water.
- Toss with olive oil and place on a baking tray in refrigerator to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together 1/4 Cup of minced lemon zest, 1/4 cup of minced lime zest, 1/4 cup of minced orange zest, 1/4 cup of minced flat leaf parsley and 1 clove of minced garlic.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Sauté pork shoulder in a pan with olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add 1 tbl white wine, 2 oz of braising liquid, and 1 cup of cheese sauce.
- Add a splash of heavy cream.
- Add orecchiette pasta along with a splash of the reserved pasta water.
- Heat until cheese is bubby and noodles have cooked to al dente.
- Top with gremolata.