Stuffed Acorn Squash by Chris Bryan, Carolina Sweat
- 2 medium acorn squash
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion
- 1 apple, any variety
- 3 slices nitrate free turkey bacon (optional)
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp ground sage
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut the squash in half and scoop the seeds out. Place on the baking sheet and roast until the flesh is tender, about 40 minutes. Remove and allow to cool to the touch.
- Dice the apple and onion into medium-sized pieces. Slice the bacon into pieces.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the bacon. Add the onion and apple and cook for 5-10 minutes until softened and translucent. Put this in a mixing bowl.
- In the same skillet, brown the ground beef and drain. Add all spices and herbs: rosemary, thyme, fennel seeds, sage, pepper, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Pour the ground beef into the same large bowl. Stir to combine.
- When the squash is cool to the touch, use a spoon to scoop out some of the flesh and mix into the beef.
- Use a spoon to fill the squash boats with the beef mixture.
- Return the squash to the oven and bake another 15 minutes at 375 until everything is heated through.