Kim Simmons shares her meringue cookie recipe for Good Day Charlotte's "What's Your Dish?" series.
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/2 t cream of tartar
- 2/3 c superfine granulated sugar
- 1 t vanilla extract
- Beat egg whites until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and beat until fluffy but not dry.
- Add sugar gradually, about 3 tablespoons at a time. When 1/2 of the sugar has been added, add the vanilla extract.
- Continue beating and adding remaining sugar in batches, until all the sugar is dissolved and the meringue is very shiny and tight.
- Optional: gently fold in the chocolate chips and chopped nuts.
- Place baking sheets in the preheated oven and turn the oven off. Leave the cookies (undisturbed) in the oven for at least 2 hours and up to overnight.