Rajul Arekh of CharlotteVeggie.com shows how she makes Mexican night healthier on Good Day Charlotte's "What's Your Dish?" series.
Crispy Cauliflower with Cashew Crema Tacos & Slow Cooker Refried Beans
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free without cheese and butter
Comfortably feeds a family of 4-5
Ingredients for Crispy Cauliflower:
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 1 tbsp unrefined coconut oil or coconut oil spray
- Chili powder, no need to measure
- Cumin, no need to measure
Directions for Crispy Cauliflower:
- Preheat oven/toaster oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss florets in coconut oil or spray.
- Spread cauliflower on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle surface area with chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper trying to make sure that every floret has some spices on it.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, or in a skillet over medium heat for 15 minutes.
Ingredients for Cashew Crema:
- 1/2 cup raw whole cashews
- 3/4 cup any salsa
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 lemon's juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp cilantro (optional)
Directions for Cashew Crema:
- Place all ingredients into blender and run for a couple of minutes until creaminess develops. It may not look like it's going to mix at first, but it will.
- Carry on with taco assembly.
- Suggested add-ins for even tastier tacos: shredded lettuce or cabbage, diced tomatoes, salsa, hot sauce, beans, tofu, other protein, and guacamole.
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Restaurant Style Scratch Made Refried Beans:
- Water for soaking pintos
- 6 cups vegetable broth or if you want to avoid opening another carton or reduce the sodium, you can do 4 cups broth + 2 cups of water instead
- This recipe is perfectly delicious oil & dairy free but you can ad 1 tbsp olive oil OR 1 tbsp butter OR both for extra richness
- 2 cups dry pinto beans
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers OR 1 poblano pepper OR 1/2 green bell pepper OR 4-6 shishito peppers – cut lengthwise and seeded
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed OR 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1.5 tsp sea salt
- Black pepper to taste, about 1/4 tsp
Directions for Slow Cooker Restaurant Style Scratch Made Refried Beans:
- Soak pinto beans in enough water to cover them completely overnight OR you can bring them to a boil, turn off heat, and leave covered for 1 hour.
- Place all ingredients in your slow cooker and give a quick stir.
- Cook on LOW for 7-8 hours or HIGH for 5-6 hours. I have even done a combination when I’ve been home like 3 hours high then 4 hours LOW or vice versa. When beans can be easily poked with a fork and easily cut into, they are done cooking.
- Remove peppers and bay leaf then mash using a potato masher to desired consistency and a hand blender following this for creamier beans.
- Store in the fridge once completely cooled for up to 1 week and in the freezer up to 3 months. I have put them in a freezer safe Ziploc bag and then put that bag in another bag just for extra insurance against freezer burn.