YORK COUNTY, S.C. (FOX 46 CHARLOTTE) - Tuesday marks one year since a man ambushed four law enforcement officers in York County, injuring three and killing one.
On Jan. 15, 2018 authorities were called to the 3042 Farrier Ln. around 10:45 p.m. for a report of domestic violence.
By the time deputies arrived, the suspect, 47-year-old Christian McCall, had fled the scene on foot. A manhunt began, and with the help of a K-9 unit, officers canvassed the surrounding area trying to find McCall. That's when he attacked.
Sergeant Randy Clinton was reportedly the first to be shot by McCall, shortly after 1 a.m. He was about 300 to 400 yards away from the house on Farrier Lane when he was injured. He was transported to Piedmont Medical Center in Rock Hill where he had to undergo surgery.
Around 3:30 a.m. three other York County law enforcement officers-- Detective Michael Doty with the York County Sheriff's Office, Sergent Buddy Brown with York PD and Sergeant Kyle Cummings with York PD-- were also shot.
Doty tragically died from his injuries on Jan. 17. Law enforcement officers and the York County community honored the slain detective in various ways throughout 2018, including a memorial bike ride, donating to non-profits in his honor, a partnership with NASCAR and naming a stretch of highway for him.
McCall pleaded guilty to all charges on May 22, and was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.
Friends, family and neighbors in York County continue to remember the fallen officer and work keep his memory alive. This Thursday, Jan. 17, a memorial event will be held for Doty at American Legion Post 34. It is sponsored by 809 Foundation and Hungry Heroes. For more information on the event, click here.
MORE ON THE JAN. 2018 AMBUSH:
- Four officers injured during "ambush" shooting in York County
- Who were the officers injured in York County?
- York County sergeant shot in the line of duty returns to work
- York Police Sergeant Cummings shot in line of duty returns to work
- York County Sheriff's deputy injured in January 2018 ambush returns to work
- Suspect in York County ambush to face attempted murder charges
- Man pleads guilty to shooting York County officers, killing 1