Photo Credit: Marisela Lopez
CHARLOTTE, NC (FOX 46) - Firefighters battled a 2-alarm apartment fire Thursday morning in east Charlotte that displaced 25 people.
The fire started around 6:44 a.m. Thursday, March 9, at Summit Ridge Apartments on Farm Pond Lane near Albemarle Road. Smoke and flames were showing.
Crews on scene tell FOX 46 Charlotte 12 units were evacuated. No injures have been reported.
It took firefighters about 33 minutes to extinguish the flames.
About 50 crew members responded to the scene early Thursday morning.
The Charlotte Fire Department says the fired was caused by improperly discarded smoking materials. The department also issued citations to the property management group at Summit Ridge Apartments after this morning’s fire.
The citations were for; non-smoking smoke detectors, missing fire extinguishers, non-working or missing carbon monoxide detectors, and for failing to service fire extinguishers annually as required by the fire code. The total of the fines was $2400.00.
Tenants tell FOX 46 Charlotte, the fire could've been prevented but say the smoke detectors never went off and weren't warned.
Ashley Flees tells me she tried everything she could to put out the fire behind her apartment but then explained to our cameras that she had to go to the third floor to find a fire extinguisher. By the time she got back to the first floor, the fire had engulfed all three floors.
FOX 46 Charlotte walked many of the apartment buildings to find Fire extinguishers missing from their cases.
"It was just too big. It had already gone up to the third floor, the fire extinguisher wouldn't do anything. So we ran around and knocked on the doors and tried to get the people out of there," Chris Flees said.
Eugenia Meza tells FOX 46 Charlotte she's been living at the Summit Ridge Apartment complex for about 8 years and has had issues with getting anything fixed by management. Meza says her smoke detectors would go off for no reason and when she alerted management, it took them 8 days to fix the problem.