9 hospitalized in Mint Hill fumes leak

A Carolinas HealthCare System Medical Plaza in Mint Hill was evacuated Friday due to a fumes leak, sending 9 employees to the hospital.

A contract worker was doing maintenance on the 3rd floor of the medical plaza and was using a lubricant that gave off fumes, affecting 10 employees in the regional call center on the same floor.

The ten employees were examined in the urgent care center on site and nine were taken to Carolinas HealthCare System University and Carolinas Medical Center for further observation. Reactions to the fumes are minor. 

The Charlotte Fire Department and MEDIC responded shortly to the facility in the 10500 block of Blair Road shortly before 11:30a. MEDIC brought its mass casualty bus to the scene.

Mint Hill Fire has determined the building to be safe. The call center and University Pediatrics will be closed for the rest of the day.