CHARLOTTE, N.C. (FOX 46 CHARLOTTE) - The attorney for the CMPD officer who shot and killed a man last month sent a statement out Wednesday night, commenting on the actions of the Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department.
Officer Wende Kerl will not be commenting on the investigation while it’s pending, but her attorney Jeremy B. Smith did not hold back Wednesday evening.
The entire 11-minute video that shows Officer Kerl fatally shooting Danquirs Franklin was released on Wednesday.
In the statement, Kerl's attorney says Franklin went to Burger King that day with a firearm and the intention of threatening and assaulting a former domestic partner. He added that after committing multiple acts of domestic violence inside the restaurant and pointing that firearm at multiple people, he left and went outside.
It was there, Kerl's attorney says, she only had a split second to analyze the situation, ultimately deciding to protect the life of a nearby innocent civilian, the greater Charlotte area, her CMPD partner and herself.
Kerl's attorney says they requested this full video to be released, and that CMPD is the only party advocating for anything less than full disclosure. You can see the full statement below.
- CMPD chief says more needs to be done to build trust with Charlotte community
- New body cam video from officer that shot and killed Danquirs Franklin released
- Judge rules in favor of extended video release
- CMPD's de-escalation procedures questioned following release of video from police shooting
- CMPD provides information on release process for body worn camera footage
- Victim, officer involved in deadly shooting outside Burger King identified